Removing a swinging door (temporarily)

All about inside your bungalow.
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:20 pm
Hi all -
We have rambunctious 14-month old who enjoys tormenting (playfully, not maliciously) our mellow dog who has a bed within the kitchen area. We'd like to keep our child away from our pet for now (not to mention away from a hot stove when making dinner) and want to install a high gate that we recently bought. However, we can't install it due to a swinging door between the dining room and kitchen.

I'd like to know how to remove this door until our little one can play "nicely" with our dog rather than throwing objects at the poor mutt. I can see lots of screws and plates on the top and bottom but want to understand what I'm doing before I just start removing screws unnecessarily.
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:24 pm
There should be two attachment/ pivot points. The pivot plate at the top which is attached to the door frame and the pivot hinge (with the springs) at the bottom. The attachment point at the top is only attached to the frame and not the door. The hinge at the bottom should be attached to the door and to the floor. You want to free up the door by removing the screws that hold it to the floor. Remove the cover plates on the bottom spring hinge and then there may or not be some cover plates that cover the screws that attache the bottom hinge plate to the floor. Remove the screws that attach the bottom hinge to the floor and you should be able to swing the door one way or another in the doorway to disengage the top pivot point.

To reinstall, simply line up the top pivot point, swing the door back in and reattach to the floor.

Diane
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:28 am
Hi Diane, and thanks for your quick reply.
After I posted the question, I did some more poking around on the Internet and decided to just start removing screws and did as you said.

Unfortunately, and as you can see in this photograph, the kitchen floor is about an inch higher than the dining room level (a mistake on our part the first week we moved in in 2000 when we removed the linoleum and installed new wood flooring) and thus, can't remove the hinge or floor plate in order to remove the door.

If you ask me, these doors look like they were made to stay put!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:06 am
In your picture can you remove the screws and swing into the dining room?

Here is the setup with mine (sorry for the blurry pic). I just took out the 4 screws holding it to the floor and swung it out into the dining room. The cover is missing that hides the spring

Diane

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 12:32 am
That looks the knots of that is located underneath and looks no bolts to unscrew it.. Breaking it it is your only option and it is good if you remove that, as swinging door is not a good one to have is you have kids that are playful or horse-playing inside your house that will cause an accident. Try installing new but safe one instead and that you thi9nk it will fit on that certain part of your house. For more info on how to get safe type of doors, try at Caldwells Door shop.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:06 pm
I think you're absolutely right. I agree with you.

Fifa 14 PC Coins

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:07 pm
I think you're absolutely right. I agree with you.

Fifa world coins

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:37 am
I would only suggest you get it done by a professional,folding doors can be tough to handle.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:35 pm
In my opinion, the author's idea is advisable.I will make advertisement freely for your post,recommend it to my frields.Most of my frields are fall in love with rs. And under this circumstance,I also like to play online game,such as RuneScape.I always buy the items online.So I am familiar with the safest and convenient way to buy Runescape Gold online.There are:http://www.rsgoldfast.com/

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:46 pm
Welcome to have more fun game waiting for you http://www.utfifas.com

Return to Bungalow Interiors