lifting the porch roof

All about outside your bungalow.
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 5:38 am
ok. how do I go about lifting up the porch roof so I can then replace the support beam runing across the front of the porch (which is noticebly sagging and causing the tounge and groove bead board ceiling to pull in towards the center.)? Will two jack poles on either side of the center of the roof suffice? This will be a winter project so I have time to think this out. I'm sure I will find all kinds of surprises underneath and am willing to go for it. Any books websites - suggestions you can think of? Thank you very much.
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 7:34 am
What is the run length of the porch? how many columns originally supported it? when you use the jack poles, what are you going to be using to prop them against (an existing beam, a temp wood beam?) Without knowing what you are trying to temporarily support, we can't be much help, I am afraid. The key is the weight and the condition of what you are going to be propping up against. If the whole roof is rotten, a support won't help. <br> <br>
MA, Historic Preservation, BS in Architecture
Less is More!
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 4:28 am
Greg says put a support post every 6'-8' is the rule of thumb, not knowing any other details. <br> <br>
MA, Historic Preservation, BS in Architecture
Less is More!
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 10:08 pm
Hi Matt, <br>I am just now finishing my porch and used three supports for a 22ft run. I used three because there was only three columns in the first place. I cut the tops of the support posts to marry up nicley to the porch roof beam and then also nailed them in place. All I did to anchor the posts was bury them in the ground about a foot. I jacked the roof in 3 spots but one spot at a time. I went 2 inches higher than I needed to, inserted the support, and then dropped the roof back down on it and its weight held it in place perfectly for about a month. Just look at my homepage through this site and you'll see a photo array of the project. As for the project itself. prepare to find more rot than you hoped for, and be ready to be creative. I have a porch column inside of stucco that is no longer functional due to insect damage. I didn't want to destroy the stucco and take the project to the whole next level, no siree. I had to design a way to reframe it so other joists and posts carried that weight. I saved about 15 grand doing it myself. Good Luck.
[url=http://www.imagestation.com/album/index.html?id=2133498846]

Return to Bungalow Exteriors