Screened Front Porch

All about outside your bungalow.
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 8:33 am
Ok, I know the drill, it seems that in the Bungalow Universe, screened in porches are a major "faux pas"....We just closed on the house yesterday (yaayy!) and I have visions of the front porch being an end-of-the-day-hangout... <br>However we live in Florida, with mosquitos the size of Florida, traveling in herds in this hot, humid climate......any suggestions, ideas...? <br> <br>http://209sweetstreet.blogspot.com
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 10:53 am
I think your comfort (and health what with West Nile) is more important than historically accurate aesthetics. <br> <br>Maybe open up the entry 1/3 and keep the other side to the right closed off with screens, or roll down screens? Another idea is to mount the screens on removable brackets or frames so that you can enjoy a few screenless months when the mosquitos aren't there (is there ever a mosquitoless time in Florida?) <br> <br>I wouldn't worry too much about it now, you will have your plate very full with your new old house. Congratulations, it is a handsome bungalow and I'm sure you will make it even better <br> <br>Cheers <br> <br>T
Small House Big Garden
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 5:05 pm
I have found in what I've read about the bungalow lifestyle is that they did what was necessary to achieve maximum comfort and livability. If it makes you able to enjoy your space more, leave the screens up. Besides, they look fine. Enjoy your home.
[url=http://www.imagestation.com/album/index.html?id=2133498846]
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 6:12 pm
Congratulations on your closing. <br> <br>Keep the screens. Be comfortable. <br> <br>Greg
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 9:29 pm
I'd keep the screens ... as protection from "skeeters" as well as for privacy. My front porch is very close to the street like yours is, but it's open. I hate how the whole world (it seems) gets a good look at my living room every time I open the front door. <br>
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 2:34 am
My porch was enclosed with full height wavy glass including four pairs of sliding doors with screens and a pair of French doors in the main entryway in 1920. When we first moved in, I thought it had to go and the porch restored, however in Northern NJ (where the mosquito is the state bird), this is a true three season porch, so it will stay. <br> <br>We plan on tiling it with 1" hex or square tiles with a border and patterns.
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 7:56 am
I understand we live in Tampa..if your not going to screen it try planting things that they hate ; neem tree (best kept in large containers or it will become a 40' tree) is the best, you know the usuall litnany of plants, incense.. <br>but we really dont have issues with them and have no plants of the kind stated above. The biggest issue is having a place where they cannot breed and keeping around the kind of predators that are handy (Bats!) and lastly there is the new fogger that uses what gas? to lure the mosquito in to his certain death. My contention with that is there are many hundreds of mosquitoes geting gassed instead of to the diet of many a song bird and yeah bats too. Culmative effect being the bigger picture in an enviroment already slammed by our efforts at comfort. So screen away sister. lol, I think if done right it can look well done. When did screen come around anyways? 1930? 50's? I bet it would of been used in the 1800's if available...historical accuracy is a scurlious thing often enough...
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:43 am
I've been told ceiling fans can do a good job keeping the skeeters away. But our Alabama front porch came screened and we love it that way and use it all the time. Other people on our street tend to head inside when it gets dark (and the bugs start biting).
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 1:25 pm
i was just replacing some rotten wood on the rear sleeping porch of our 1921 prairie bungalow. underneath the trim boards that run between each window i found remnants of screening that must have originally wrapped all the porch windows, but at some point been ripped out. <br> <br>i'd keep the screening if i were you.
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 10:09 am
Well, I guess I'm the odd one out here!

We, too, live in Florida (Lakeland). We live between two lakes and mosquitos are plentiful. When I bought this bungalow, the front porch was screened in. The mosquitos were horrible! They would come in little openings or the screen door and never be able to leave, so they just ate us up! We took the screen off and it got so much better! I think the breeze kind of blew them away or something. I'm not sure, but it's much better!

A big fan and anti-mosquito plants really helped, too.

We just bought the house across the street and can't wait to rip off the closed in front porch to have a big open porch again!
Nancy
1921 foursquare fixer upper
Lakeland, FL
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 11:29 am
Thanks for your input "neighbor". Have you any pics of your home(s) in lakeland?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:37 pm
Hi! This is the one we're in now:
http://www.familymoses.net/822johnson.htm

And here's our "new" one:
http://www.familymoses.net/821johnson.htm
Nancy
1921 foursquare fixer upper
Lakeland, FL
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 1:00 pm
We live up north where mosquitos are very abundant during the summer months... The porch of our 1914 bungalow had been glassed in perhaps in the 30's or 40's--we're not sure but prior occupants think it was about that time.

My husband removed the glass last summer and what a difference! We even had complete strangers stop by to tell us they'd noticed it from driving by every day and they really liked it.

It's so nice to see it the way it was supposed to be.. Also we have the original dark oak door with 3 beveled glass inserts and it really shows up now, as does our stained glass.

During the summer, the kids love having a meal out on the front porch from time to time so we set up these things where you light a small tea type candle in an plastic like pagoda--there's also a wick at the top which sends off something, due to the candle's heat and that really keeps the mosquitos away. For the life of me I can't remember the name but it's one you'd find easily anywhere.

I am so glad we removed the glass... Just our experience of course..
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 1:05 pm
PS I don't know if the picture of our house shows up on my posts for everyone but this was taken last year when we were midway through the porch window removal...
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 4:30 pm
There's nothing faux-pas at all about screened-in porches for those of us living in the Mosquito Belt. I live in Maryland where porches are unliveable from May to October without screening. And these new skeeters bite during the day, little b_______!. Even here in my historic neighborhood, screening is whole-heartedly approved, if done discreetly. A fellow up the street from me screened in the side porch of his very formal Georgian Revival. This porch comes complete with white Greek columns, entablature, pediments, slate roof - you know, all the fancy bells and whistles. What he did was construct the framing to fit exactly inside the coluumns, not in front of or behind. Then he painted the framing black. It unbelieveably disappears. So go ahead and enjoy your porch.

Return to Bungalow Exteriors