Does Yellow/Gold Exterior Paint Fade?

Welcome to the American Bungalow Archive.
Here you'll find three years worth of valuable information collected from the message board of our previous site. In this archive, you'll find everything from painting your bungalow's exterior to renovation techniques contributed by our online community.

For best results, use the "Search" function.

Moderator: ABModerator1

Archives

Does Yellow/Gold Exterior Paint Fade?

Postby Archives » Mon Nov 11, 2002 12:05 pm

We are getting ready to paint the trim on our brick house in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. We are leaning toward a creamy golden color for the larger pieces of trim with darker contrasts. The color looks great with the brick, which is an wonderful blend of colors including deep rose, golden brown, and deep brown, with golden sand colored morter. Plus is appears to be close to the original trim color on the house. So we don't exactly have a problem with what color we want to use. Unfortunately, a professional painter advised us against the creamy gold because, "Yellow fades worse in the sun than other colors." <br> <br>Is this true? I know that all paint fades in the sun and that darker paint or cheaper paint tends to fade faster, but I have never heard that yellow is especially bad. Is the painter just miffed that we don't like the color he recommended? Any thoughts? <br> <br>

Archives

Re: Does Yellow/Gold Exterior Paint Fade?

Postby Archives » Mon Nov 11, 2002 12:06 pm

After a fair amount of research and talking with paint dealers, I discovered that each of you who responded to my post was at least partially right. I also discovered that the answer was, "It depends." Yellows/golds made with certain organic pigments do sun fade worse than other paints. On the other hand, yellows/golds made with inorganic pigments do not sun fade any worse than most paints. Although the inorganic pigments cost more, the price of the paint is not a good indicator of whether it has organic or inorganic pigments. So I guess you have to ask. <br> <br>

Archives

Postby Archives » Mon Nov 11, 2002 12:13 pm

I've had yellow in a sunny livingroon for about 5 years. I recently had to touch up a spot and the canned paint matched what was on the walls exectly. So, it appears that no fading has taken place. However, yellow is more difficult to paint with....get top of the line paint and a good primer.

Archives

Forgot to mention......may parents had yellow exterior shutters for years and had the same experience as my interior. I currently had a light gold-yellow exterior paint (cheap - not my choice) and it has faded. I beleive its all about the quality.

Archives

I suspect that your painter is trying to get the job done with minimum labor, since yellow sometimes requires more than one coat to cover, especially over darker colors. <br> <br>

Archives

Postby Archives » Mon Nov 11, 2002 12:14 pm

Because of the age of the house and the major work that needs to be done, we are paying by the hour for prep work -- which is being done meticulously. We are essentially going down to the bare wood on the house, reglazing the windows, etc. We are doing a coat of oil based primer tinted to match the paint and then two coats of paint. So I don't think coverage is an issue. <br> <br>

Archives

Postby Archives » Mon Nov 11, 2002 12:14 pm

I know that yellow is the worst of any color in covering darker colors. <br> <br>I believe becuase it has less pigment than any other color. <br> <br>This is probably why he would recommend against it for longevity. <br> <br>

Return to “Archived Messages”