Is this a craftsman style house?

Welcome to the American Bungalow Archive.
Here you'll find three years worth of valuable information collected from the message board of our previous site. In this archive, you'll find everything from painting your bungalow's exterior to renovation techniques contributed by our online community.

For best results, use the "Search" function.

Moderator: Dane

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2002 10:56 am
I think Kent is right. I don't think the exterior of your house has been extensively remodeled -- just fancied up. Your house represents a common 1920's design. Many of the houses on my block in the Old Westside Historic District, Ann Arbor, Michigan, (where I lived in the 1970's) looked like yours. I know that they were not designated as bungalows in the historic district overlay, but I cannot remember what they were called.

FYI...out of curiosity I ran an MLS search and realtors designate that style as "other." (one creative realtor designated it a "chalet" style.) Seems we are not the only ones unable to name that house.

Your house looks like a fixed-up version of a house I owned in the 1970's. If I am right, your front door opens into a hallway with the stairs to your right,the livingroom to your left, and the kitchen straight back. I loved my house with its great windows, real plaster, oak floors and woodwork, but it wasn't a bungalow. I don't think yours is either. Appreciate it for what it is, a great old house. In addition, even if it isn't a bungalow, a lot of information on this site applies to most older homes. <br> <br>

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2002 10:57 am
What a cute house, and nice terraced yard! <br> <br>It doesn't look especially craftsman style to me -- no large overhanging eaves or exposed raftertails, and the porch columns, railing and trim do not look craftsman to me. However, the door looks craftsman, but is is new or origina? Nor does it look especially victorian. It actually looks more colonial to me, though I am no expert. Then again, its hard to tell what it originally looked like. The faux shutters, siding, and and columns on the porch say colonial, but are they original? <br> <br>Hopefully someone more knowledgeable than I can give you more details. <br> <br>Anyway, congratulations on buying such a cool old house! <br> <br>
Previous

Return to Archived Messages