What style is this row house?

Welcome to the American Bungalow Archive.
Here you'll find three years worth of valuable information collected from the message board of our previous site. In this archive, you'll find everything from painting your bungalow's exterior to renovation techniques contributed by our online community.

For best results, use the "Search" function.

Moderator: ABModerator1

Archives

What style is this row house?

Postby Archives » Wed Nov 13, 2002 12:55 pm

My husband and I just signed an agreement of sale for the end unit of this row house in western PA. It was built in 1900 and the inside is full of the dark wood floors, trim, ceiling beams and built-ins. We'd love to know more about it architecturally, but do not know where to start. Does anyone have any idea what style it might be considered, or any other information that might be useful? Thanks!! <br> <br> <br>Picture of house <br> <br>http://www2.county.allegheny.pa.us/RealEstate/General.asp?HouseNum=1422&amp;Street=severn&amp;SingleResult=True&amp;CurrBloLot=0085S00204000000 <br>

Archives

Re: What style is this row house?

Postby Archives » Wed Nov 13, 2002 12:56 pm

I would definitely call its Arts and Crafts. A very handsome building! How nice for you. Where in Pittsburgh is it located...Squirrel Hill, Regent Square? I don't recognize the street name. My partner and I live in Mt. Lebanon in an early 1900s bungalow. It's a wonderful home (we just bought it last year.) I'm sure that you'll be happy in yours. There is an interesting website out there on bungalows/arts and crafts style homes. The site is designed by a fellow A &amp; C homeowner in Dormont. I can't recall the URL, but I'll try to look at home. Send me your email, and if I find it, I'll forward it to you. His site has lots of good information on this period and style. <br> <br>&gt; <br>

Archives

Re: What style is this row house?

Postby Archives » Wed Nov 13, 2002 12:56 pm

Your new home was ultra modern when it was built in 1900. It looks like an arts and crafts, early craftsman style, building. It has the wide roof overhangs, the window groupings, decorative beams, and porch details on the outside that are consistent with that style. (Although I cannot see really well from the picture, there may also be some exposed rafter tails. What you describe about the inside is also consistent with an arts and crafts/craftsman style. Enjoy your new home. <br> <br>

Return to “Archived Messages”