I'm Buying My First House!

Welcome to the American Bungalow Archive.
Here you'll find three years worth of valuable information collected from the message board of our previous site. In this archive, you'll find everything from painting your bungalow's exterior to renovation techniques contributed by our online community.

For best results, use the "Search" function.

Moderator: Dane

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2003 12:47 pm
I think it is a bungalow...not sure. How would I obtain an accurate age on the home and find out it's history? The real estate listing says that it's 50 years old, but I think it's much older. <br> <br>Thanks for the help - I'll post a pic as soon as I can figure out how... <br> <br>

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2003 12:48 pm
The Aladdin Homes site has a lot of good advice about researching your home. <br> <br>How to Research Your Home <br>http://www.lib.cmich.edu/clarke/aladdin/aladdinoldhomes.htm <br>

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2003 12:48 pm
I forgot to mention city directories. Start with the most recent date you know the house was there and move backward. This won't work if it was possible that your house replaced another one previously on that plot. But if yours is the original construction there, eventually you will get back to a year that there is no "address" for your location. It is also interesting to track when your neighbors' houses went up. <br> <br>Good luck! <br> <br>

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2003 12:49 pm
Ther's also the old tricks of checking the toilet tank lid (if it is the original tank, the date of manufacture may be stamped into the underside of the tank lid) or the coal chute door (if it's still there, it may have a date on it). <br> <br>The best advice is the tax assessor's office. As an added bonus, in my county (Jefferson County, Alabama) - the assessor went through and photographed every structure in 1934 -- so you can get a copy of that photo! <br> <br>Congratulations, and best of luck! <br> <br>

As my neighbor said when I moved into my bungalow, "buying an old house is like building a new house one piece at a time". You'll eventually end up fixing everything at one point or another... :-) <br> <br>

Congratulations! It's very exciting and a bit frightening buying a first house. <br> <br>Take a peek at the "what style is my bungalow" option on this website. There are loads of different styles and some of the most popular continued to be built into the 40's and 50's so you may very well have one of the newer versions. <br> <br>Good luck! <br> <br>

Your appraisal may list the age of the home. Ours did on the last two houses we bought. <br> <br>Congratulations!! <br> <br> <br>

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2003 12:50 pm
Go to the county assessor/recorder's office and look up the property tax records. They're public records. <br>Rick <br>

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2003 12:50 pm
I'm not sure if this is specific to my state....but at purchase I received an "abstract of title"...or a listing of all the owners of the land to present date. You can spot when the (or a) house was added by watching for an increase in the mortgage amounts. It is facinating to read through.....in my abstract you see sale amounts, names, deaths, bankruptcies, sheriff foreclosures. <br> <br>To put things in perspective....the land to my property was purchased in 1859 for $195. Today, I spent $200 for a new lock for my back door. Oh how the times change ;-) <br>

Return to Archived Messages