Updated 4 Sq Pics on Web Page!

Welcome to the American Bungalow Archive.
Here you'll find three years worth of valuable information collected from the message board of our previous site. In this archive, you'll find everything from painting your bungalow's exterior to renovation techniques contributed by our online community.

For best results, use the "Search" function.

Moderator: ABModerator1

Archives

Updated 4 Sq Pics on Web Page!

Postby Archives » Tue Jan 14, 2003 1:54 pm

Today must be picture day! We join the others in posting new photos of modifications to our Foursquare since taking possession in August. We used 5 gallons (yup, gallons!) of joint compound repairing the walls you see in the pics. When I removed the trim at the ceiling, the walls and ceilings in all the downstairs rooms didn't join, so I had to rebuild them, as well as do significant repairs on 4 walls. Haven't decided whether to replace it with crown molding or stencil. Or both! First I'll finish the upstairs. <br> <br>Brislain 1915 American Foursquare <br>http://www.geocities.com/becbris/our_house.html <br>

Archives

Re: Updated 4 Sq Pics on Web Page!

Postby Archives » Tue Jan 14, 2003 1:58 pm

You have done an outstanding job. Seeing the "before" and "after" pix can make us truly appreciate all that you've done. You have a charming home. It looks like it must be very cozy! <br> <br>

Archives

Any tips/hints/advice on the rebuilding of the wall/ceiling? I suspect that once I remove my wood trim.....this will be my situation too (I see evidence of it at the edge of the wood. <br> <br>

Archives

I started out by trying to apply joint tape, but the gaps were so big, it didn't work very well. Then I just went to pressing joint compound into the gap with a putty knife and then scraping the knife along the joint to create a sharp corner. (I tried using plaster, but it hardens too fast) It took me forever as I had to go back over it about 3 times to get it all smoothed to my satisfaction. It was exhausting and very time consuming. And it's really hard to get it "just so". It took several redos, especially at the very beginning and the very end (when I was tired). It also took several days since I had to wait a day for the stuff to completely dry. Unfortunately, I did the biggest room first. After I finished the living room, I tried to think of an easier (and faster) way to do the remaining rooms. I came up with this: put joint compound into a heavy duty freezer type zip lock bag and cut the corner out, making kind of a pastry tube, like chefs use to decorate cakes. Then I just squeezed the compound into the openings, filling them, and smoothed the edge with my finger like you do caulk. The seam looked just as good as it did in the living room, with far less work! Not as sharp, but nearly so, and from the floor level you can't tell the difference. In areas that had really large gaps, I had to go over it again to fill them completely, but it worked like a charm. Still work, mind you, but it goes faster. Make sure the bag is zipped closed and don't fill it completely. You want to be able to place your hand between the zip lock seam and the compound that fills the bag in order to squeeze it without popping the bag open. Hope that helps! <br> <br>

Archives

Thanks, that does help quite a bit. Do you sand and paint once you are done....or just put the wood back up?? I'm a little nervous to start that job.....as I've been working (with varying degrees of luck) in covering cracks in plaster walls. I just resanded a wall that I had patched with compound and primed. But I could see the "mound" under the primer, so off it came again. I have white dust everywhere. <br> <br>

Archives

Postby Archives » Tue Jan 14, 2003 1:59 pm

I sanded, primed and painted. I didn't put the wood molding back up. If I were you, I would at least prime it before you put the wood back up. <br> <br>Mine wasn't crown molding and is too narrow and just looks cheap up there (even though it's really nicely grained oak). I'll either add to it to increase the width or I'll just stencil. I haven't really decided yet. <br> <br>The key to patching without it showing is to go way out from the crack (if you get my drift). After I finished mine, the patched area was about 2 feet wide with the crack in the center. Old plaster walls can be wavy and I decided I'd rather go for that look than have a hump, so I feathered it out pretty far. You also need to use a low lustre paint or flat paint to minimize any reflections off the imperfections. <br> <br>Email me at becbris@ameritech.net if you want me to send you photos of some of the work in progress. <br> <br>

Archives

Postby Archives » Tue Jan 14, 2003 1:59 pm

I would love to see your pics and will send you an email. I patched my walls, sanded, primed. Looked at the lumps on the walls and resanded (this time using an orbital)...and the cracks are showing again. Then I spent the next few days trying to get the white dust out of/off everything in the house (in spite of plastic drop cloths). I have lost my will to deal with it at this point. I desperately want to paint....but don't want to paint over those cracks.....so, I'm at a stalemate right now :-) Maybe advice and pics will help...... <br> <br>After my walls, I'm afraid to really look behind the crown molding (but I see telltale signs of the plaster ending). The molding is ok oak....at some point someone took it down (to refinish?) and didn't get it back up tightly (possibly because the lack of plaster behind it). One thing leads to another, doesn't it? <br> <br>

Return to “Archived Messages”